Monday, September 7, 2009

Mother to Mother

There are days, albeit few and far between, when I think I have it together.  Happy kid, happy house, happy mama.  But most days the house is a disaster, the kid is happy, and I am tired.  Really tired.  Lately I have been more tired than usual and I know why and I know it will improve at some point.  But until then I awaken each morning hopeful that today is the day when the kid is happy, the house is happy, and me and my mama are all happy.IMG_6845 copy

Today I feel like a horrible mother and a horrible daughter.  My sister warned me that my relationship with our mother would change once I had a child.  As the older sister with a completely different personality I poo-poo’d my sister’s warning, but she was right.  Unfortunately.  Things do change.  I have talked to a number of newer moms and the answer was always the same: the relationship between mom and the new mom does change.  I am not sure why it happens, but it does bother me.  I notice I am short with her and my responses come out sounding differently than I intended.  Perhaps that is just the way it is supposed to be.  The new mom has to learn and stretch her wings and figure it out for herself.  In some ways, it feels like the last rebellion.  The last final stretch.  The final thing that both separates and binds us to our mother’s.  Maybe we just need to know that we can do it on our own.  Maybe we want to separate ourselves from our mothers—make right what we didn’t like when we were the child.  Or maybe, just maybe, it is because we see our mothers in our mothering and we don’t always like what we see. 

I’m not sure why, but I am sorry Mom.  It feels like our roles have reversed and I don’t always like it.

IMG_6862 copy

Little man, I see you changing every day.  It’s not just your face or the length of your arms.  You are a deliberate, brilliant, challenging child and most days I wouldn’t want it any other way.  But other days…well, I look forward to bedtime.  I love you, Duc, and I am so grateful to have you in my life.

IMG_6895 copy

4 comments:

Michele September 9, 2009 at 6:21 AM  

I agree that things between mother and daughter do change and I hope that the two of you can find ways to make your relationship better.

Kelli September 9, 2009 at 6:49 AM  

It can be hard finding our fit into motherhood...love the pictures. I will email you about next weekend!

a Tonggu Momma September 9, 2009 at 12:17 PM  

Aww... hugs to you AND your mom. That first year of transition is hard for everyone, I think.

Yoli September 10, 2009 at 8:37 PM  

So beautiful, so well said. You are a poet lady.

Labels

About This Blog

This started as my story, but has evolved to OUR story. This is the story of life as a single parent to a wonderful little boy while we wait for baby sister. China LID 2.12.07.


But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.
Habakkuk 2:3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP