Saturday, December 12, 2009

Baby Mama Drama

IMG_0966

I knew when I saw the scene above that we were in trouble. This was on Monday. On Tuesday night he insisted on sleeping with me. In fact, when I finally consented and started to put him in my bed he nearly cheered. You see, we are not one of those families that co-sleep. Before Duc, I was all for it. After I spent our first night co-sleeping in DaNang, and especially when I attempted it once we returned home I knew it was never going to work.



So Tuesday night we co-slept for the first time in nearly a year. He was happy, but it didn’t help his cough and congestion one bit. He didn’t get better and he didn’t get worse.



Until this morning. He woke up screaming. For those of you that don’t know him, Duc is not a screamer or a crier. He screamed and big wet tears slipped down his purplish-red cheeks. He writhed around arching his back and kicking. He wouldn’t let me hold him or comfort him and it brought back the feeling of absolute powerlessness that I first experienced before we left HaNoi and our first few days home before I knew just how sick he was.



I was finally able to pour some Motrin down his throat in between screams and ultimately decided to call the doctor when the screams didn’t abate.



Double ear infections. I suppose we have been lucky that this is the first time he has suffered this. I mentioned to the doctor that we have had to deal with all kinds of funky illnesses that most kids never have or never have this young and now all the routine toddler crap begins.



If this morning wasn’t traumatic enough, this afternoon got worse. Sometimes I marvel at how much Duc has grown and changed and advanced these last few weeks and months. Truly amazing. Until your kid locks you out of the house. I stepped out to retrieve the grill cover that had blown off. I intentionally left the sliding glass door open so Duc could still hear me. When I looked back at the house I discovered he figured out how to get the door shut (it’s a really heavy door! Even I have trouble making sure I get it shut just right to lock it) and locked. I was locked out of the house while wearing only flip-flops, t-shirt and pajama bottoms in 30* weather. No cell phone and no key.



Honestly, I really wanted to cry. I didn’t, but I wanted to. I kept hoping he would figure out how to unlock the door, but no such luck. I went to a few neighbors’ houses and no one was home. I finally went to the neighbor’s house that I often have issues with and I am glad I did. I was able to call Michael and in the meantime my neighbor loaned me her coat and some socks. I went back to the door and stood there talking to Duc. He kept saying “mommy"!” and reaching for me…it was so hard. He went in the other room and gathered his blanky. He came back to the door, laid down with his hand against the door. Michael finally arrived and was able to get me back into the house. I’ve been concerned about Duc getting out, but I never really considered he might lock me out.

IMG_1217

IMG_0961

(through yet another door)

6 comments:

kitchu December 13, 2009 at 10:02 AM  

wow! maybe being that smart at this age is NOT a good thing? so sorry you guys have been hitting some rough spots and i would have had frost bite in that weather. i don't cope well with cold!

Michele December 13, 2009 at 10:12 AM  

I'm glad he didn't freak out while you werew locked out. Hopefully this will be the first and last time that happens.

Anonymous December 13, 2009 at 1:52 PM  

Oh, I don't feel so bad now! Caroline locked me out a few weeks ago... I ran down to the garage to take the garbage out and she reached up and flipped the deadbolt lock. Luckily I knew the back door was open. I just had to run across the front yard and into the back (in my pajamas and barefeet). These kids are pretty smart, we need to watch out!
I hope Duc feels better soon. Caroline had a lot of earaches last winter, and I know how painful it is!

Kelli December 13, 2009 at 9:02 PM  

Hope Duc feels better soon. Glad you found a way back in without breaking a window!

Nora and Brad December 14, 2009 at 10:35 PM  

Oh, you so have to find a place to hide a key outside. Can't tell you how many times it has come in handy for me. Glad that Duc is on the mend.

Shea December 24, 2009 at 12:39 AM  

I'm glad I'm not the only one this has happened to! My daughter locked me out when she was two. Talk about feeling like a rookie mom...I was recycling newspapers in my garage and she went inside and clicked the deadbolt. I too became the crazy woman in old sweats going door-to-door to borrow a phone and call my sister, who had an extra key to my house. I finally made the call and ran home to find my child standing in the open doorway, waiting for my return. Lesson learned--I cut an extra key and hid it that afternoon. Who'd have thought that little toddlers could outsmart such smart mamas?!?

Labels

About This Blog

This started as my story, but has evolved to OUR story. This is the story of life as a single parent to a wonderful little boy while we wait for baby sister. China LID 2.12.07.


But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.
Habakkuk 2:3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP