Monday, December 14, 2009

Boobies

IMG_0819 copy

I’m not sure what other moms do, but bath time always creates a little stress for me. If I shower while he is napping he will wake up early and demand attention. But if I do it while he is awake I have few options:

  1. Shower with him
  2. Place him in a jumperoo that he outgrew many many months ago and hope he doesn’t flip it
  3. Let him wander around my bathroom

Showering with him is a hassle. He wants me to hold him the entire time and as most of you know, wet babies are slicker than snot. We are an accident waiting to happen. Last weekend I left him free to wander the bathroom and you can see the destruction in the picture above. He dumped the trash can’s contents all over the floor.



So, yesterday I put him in the jumperoo and he had to watch me towel off. As I was leaning over he poked my breast and said “boobie!”. Yes, my precocious child learned what boobies are before learning where his nose, ears and eyes are. Needless to say, I taught him about noses, ears and eyes in the event he says it at daycare. I don’t want people thinking it is the only body part he knows!



I don’t often talk about Duc’s development for a number of reasons. I decided long before I became a parent that I was never going to compare him to any other child. I wanted him to be his own person and not feel he needs to stack up to what little Timmy is doing. While I am proud of all his accomplishments, it does not impact me as a person or his mother. These are his accomplishments. Having said all that, I’ve known from the beginning that he was advanced for his age and the longer I am a mother and more I am around children his age or younger I realize just how advanced he is. Developmentally he is at the level of a 3 year-old child which is twice is biological age. Lately it is becoming more and more apparent. I see him around children in his class or with other children and I realize that being locked out of the house (see my last post) is only the tip of the iceberg. I really need to stay ahead of him and I think that will prove challenging to do.

IMG_0723 copy

IMG_0731 copy

This is an emotional week for me. I can barely comprehend that it has been a year, a year, since Duc entered my life. Fifty-two weeks ago on this very day I was nervously packed. Michael offered to take me to my sister’s house since she lives near the airport we were leaving from. We left earlier than planned because an ice storm had hit and he was worried we wouldn’t be able to get out if we left later. We stopped for lunch at Long John Silver’s (there is a joke there that I’m not going to both explaining, but it has sentimental value to me) and I remember thinking that this would be my last meal out before becoming a mom.



I barely slept that night. We had to be up at 4 am because we had an early flight, but it didn’t matter. I flopped around on my sister’s couch counting the hours. Literally, every hour or so I was refreshing the count in my head. 96 hours…94….82….and so on.



Wow, I never could have pictured this a year ago. I never could have hoped for anyone better than Duc. We have been blessed.

6 comments:

Anonymous December 15, 2009 at 8:27 AM  

I think being naked in front of our kids is okay. Let the learn the right words and to respect another person's body. It will be much more of a lesson than his peers will get.

As for comparison, I totally agree. I have a friend who loves to ramble off all that her kid can do. It is weird to listen to cause, although I care that her kid is well, I don't care about how fabulous he is cause I already know that all kids are fabulous in their own way.

Michele December 15, 2009 at 7:48 PM  

I'm sure you will find a shower time solution that will work for both of you. Good luck.

Michele December 15, 2009 at 7:48 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
kitchu December 16, 2009 at 1:58 PM  

guess it's time to start calling him little man... why am i not surprised that's the first body part he knows?? :O)

congrats on one year! hard to believe that much time has gone by!

Kelli December 17, 2009 at 9:31 AM  

Oh I can so relate to the shower thing. Can't believe it's been a year!

Angie December 20, 2009 at 7:49 PM  

Time flies when you're having fun! Congrats on your first year!

Labels

About This Blog

This started as my story, but has evolved to OUR story. This is the story of life as a single parent to a wonderful little boy while we wait for baby sister. China LID 2.12.07.


But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.
Habakkuk 2:3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP