Thursday, March 18, 2010

Just check the box…

IMG_4039 copy

The other day the forms arrived.  You know the ones…they are being mailed to every house in the US and if the media is to believed they are even more important than my vote every four years.  IMG_4003

I, like so many Americans, am a blend of different nationalities that resulted in the uber-white American that I am.  My last name is Irish, but the majority of my family on both sides is traced back to Scotland.  There is also a dash or German and a pinch of English thrown in for good measure.  My son, like me is also a blend, but where we differ is that I have absolutely no idea about his ethnicity.  I adopted him from the country of Vietnam.  He has a very Asian face, but not a face that looks like those of his countrymen.  Many Asians ask me “what kind of Asian is he?” and those that don’t ask guess he is Chinese or Chinese-Korean.  IMG_4037

I teasingly tell my son that he is Samoan.  What you may not be able to tell from pictures is that he is quite broad shouldered.  Although his height and weight at his last check-up were right at the 50th percentile on the American charts, He has been wearing 2T tops for a while, but not because his shirts are getting short.  His shoulders are just so wide that trying to pull his shirts off over his head is like peeling a sausage casing off the sausage.   Physically he does not fit the typical “Asian” build that so many Americans and Asians attribute to most Asians.  Every time I see Kelli and Aiden I HAVE to pick up Aiden at least once for a weight comparison.  While they are about the same height, Duc is 3-4 lbs heavier, but he is not overweight.  He is exceptionally strong.  He can lift more than his own weight and has been able to do this since I met him at 7 months old.  He can do chin-ups and he doesn’t make it look hard.  Last weekend I visited my sister and we did some grocery shopping.  I was having trouble carrying my bags into the house, but my mom was busy holding a baby, my sister had her bags so I told them to send Duc out to help. They laughed thinking I was being silly, but I wasn’t.  He came out and grabbed a bag and hauled it into the house.     IMG_3918

For the 2010 census I am going to check multiple boxes.  This decade he will be Chinese, Vietnamese (both choices actually reflect a person’s nationality and not so much their actual race or ethnicity.  The gov’t really needs to spring for a cultural anthropologist at some point)and I am debating a write in Hmong (he looks most like Hmong in my opinion).  The next time I check the boxes he will be nearly 12 years-old and he may look completely different by then.  By then I may have more information about his heritage or DNA genealogy will have improved.  Until then I am checking boxes.

5 comments:

a Tonggu Momma March 19, 2010 at 9:10 AM  

We've always wondered about our daughter because the county of her birth is about 75% Hakka, a minority group within China that does not have official minority status.

Anonymous March 19, 2010 at 1:58 PM  

I wanted to put down that we were Vulcan but Tim got mad and said not to. I think I felt very whitebread when I filled that out.

Christine @ 12,450miles March 19, 2010 at 8:14 PM  

It's amazing how weird some check boxes can leave you feeling isn't it?!

Tuyen March 19, 2010 at 10:41 PM  

Hello,
In my opinion, I think Duc is Vietnamese. When I look at him, I knew he is Vietnamese. Even though I can't be 100% sure. Actually Vietnamese people can look very different if they're from different regions. I'm also Vietnamese but I get mistake for Korean all the time, even Vietnamese people can't tell that I'm Vietnamese (but I'm sure I am : D).

Last but not least, your Duc is a cutie! God bless your family!

Tuyen

Sarah March 21, 2010 at 7:50 PM  

Here's a link you might be interested in. I'm planning on using DNA tribes for our daughter, but haven't done it yet.

http://hubpages.com/hub/DNA-Genealogy-Test-Comparison

Labels

About This Blog

This started as my story, but has evolved to OUR story. This is the story of life as a single parent to a wonderful little boy while we wait for baby sister. China LID 2.12.07.


But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.
Habakkuk 2:3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP