Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Family

I am not naive and I doubt anyone would say I am obtund.


At the beginning of each day my son is my son. He is not my flesh nor my blood, but my feelings for him are not directed by blood or biology. He is my son. I live every day aware, painfully aware at times, that he was born of another woman’s body. I wish I could have given birth to him, taken credit for his beauty, his brains and his wit. I wish I could have made it easier, but then we wouldn’t be the people we have become. It seems strange to me at times when I remember that I never watched him slip out of my body, never saw my body grow and change. My heart has changed though. My love and my intensity has changed.





My son doesn’t yet understand adoption. I talk about Vietnam and the beautiful woman who carried him below her heart for nine months.



For now my son is blissfully ignorant that “mommy” in our family has more than one meaning. For now he doesn’t have to question what “mommy” means to him. At the end of today and the beginning of tomorrow we are simply mommy and babe. Some days I wish people saw the same thing I see—a family. Not an adoptive family. Not a single mom. Not an adopted child. A family. No more questions. No more nosy looks. Just us. A mother and her son. Family.

4 comments:

Michal September 8, 2010 at 12:08 AM  

Beautiful....

Christine @ 12,450miles September 8, 2010 at 7:50 PM  

I adore this post...

Michele September 14, 2010 at 8:39 AM  

I agree. And you two makes on very beautiful family.

Shea September 18, 2010 at 9:10 PM  

I totally agree with this post, and understand what you mean. I feel the same way. It's getting harder to talk to my daughter about her birth mom and her foster mom. I'm jealous that I'm not the only mom she's ever known, although I know that without that history we wouldn't be a family. I thought I had "the talks" all figured out in my mind but it's much harder with a living, breathing child. It's hard to explain to people who aren't living this reality.

Labels

About This Blog

This started as my story, but has evolved to OUR story. This is the story of life as a single parent to a wonderful little boy while we wait for baby sister. China LID 2.12.07.


But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.
Habakkuk 2:3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP