Sunday, December 26, 2010

Blue Nee-Nee

IMG_7783

This is Duc’s nee-nee, or as he calls it, “The Blue Nee-Nee”. I purchased a package of mutlcolored nee-nees at the beginning of the year and swore to myself that I wouldn’t buy another. Not for this child at least.



As this year marched forward I began to feel pressure from other mommies, family, the internet, parenting magazines to wean him from the nee-nee. At times he shows readiness. We stopped using it during the day. Daycare doesn’t give it to him during naptime so he is used to napping without it (although I always gave it to him at home since I just realized recently that the nee-nee in his cubby at daycare is dust covered {yes, I am that kind of observant parent}). He began forgetting it for car trips where I often held it ‘just in case’. Yesterday he was so excited about all the great gifts he got he forgot to eat, forgot to nap and even forgot about nee-nee. He fell asleep in the first mile after I left my parent’s house and nee-nee fell from his grasp. When I carried him into bed from the car last night he quietly cried out for nee-nee, but quickly rolled over and forgot about it.



This was my chance. I hid it. I even placed his nee-nee someplace hard for me to remember and difficult for me reach.



As I crawling into bed last night I realized one thing.



I’m not ready.



I’m not ready for Duc to be a big boy. I’m not ready to take away his off switch—the one thing that quiets him down when we are in the grocery store and he starts wailing half way through our shopping. I’m not ready to take away the one thing that puts him into sleepyland within minutes. When I see his nee-nee I think of our first days together. I offered him his first nee-nee on the short trip from the orphanage to the location of his G&R. It was love at first sight.



Within the next few weeks Duc will be sleeping in a big boy bed. His very own twin size bed. Potty training is surely not far behind. I’m just not ready for him to be a big boy. But he is. I’ve watched him grow—first in photos and then every day with my own eyes. He is no longer my baby. He is a big boy that doesn’t need to rely on a nee-nee.



So long, nee-nee, and thanks for the memories. We will both miss you.

5 comments:

a Tonggu Momma December 26, 2010 at 4:59 PM  

It is so hard, isn't it, Erica? This year the Tongginator finally stopped needing her Doggy so much. She still sleeps with him every night, but we don't have to take him EVERYWHERE.

B December 28, 2010 at 10:10 PM  

I fall more deeply in love with my big boy every day but like you the baby is gone and I miss him so very much. It went way too fast.

Michele December 31, 2010 at 8:17 AM  

I totally understand but not having to deal with those things is great too. No matter what he will always be your baby boy, nee nee or not.

Kelli January 5, 2011 at 1:19 PM  

It does happen way too quickly!

B January 11, 2011 at 9:22 PM  

Is sleeping without the blue nee-nee getting any better?

Labels

About This Blog

This started as my story, but has evolved to OUR story. This is the story of life as a single parent to a wonderful little boy while we wait for baby sister. China LID 2.12.07.


But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.
Habakkuk 2:3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP