Thursday, December 16, 2010

December 16, 2008

IMG_0839

This time of year is always special for me since it is the time I met and adopted Duc. I know it was difficult for my mother to be away from family for the Holidays, but I have to admit, I wouldn’t have it any other way. For me, I finally had a family and it didn’t matter to me where I was as long as we were together.



My maternity leave started on Monday, December 15th and like this December 15th a winter storm moved in. Michael picked me up and drove me to my sister’s house since she lived closest to the airport. The roads were slick and I wasn’t sure what I was more nervous about—the drive, the massive change that was occurring in my life, or worrying that the weather would keep us from leaving for Vietnam.



I slept on my sister’s couch that night. Well, I attempted to sleep. I was checking my watch every 30 minutes waiting to get up and finally gave up around 3:30 am. The photo above was taken while we waited to board our flight. I cried as I hugged my sister which mirrored our return as well. I had no sleep, but I was downright giddy.



Two years ago at this time I was somewhere over the ocean en route to S. Korea. I still remember the excitement as we landed in Seoul knowing we were that much closer. I remember the most minute detail. I remember how well I slept—nearly the entire trip between home and Vietnam. For the first time in two years I slept soundly. The end of the wait was almost over.



Even now it seems unfathomable that two years have passed. I remember so acutely the stress of waiting. The anguish as I learned we were delayed. How worried I was for Duc. And here I am. A mom for two years. Where did the time go?

4 comments:

Kelli December 16, 2010 at 10:40 PM  

I wish I knew where the time went, my friend. That time we spent waitng took FOR.EV.ER. And now, here we are two years later in what seems like a blink of an eye. Enjoy the memories.

Anonymous December 18, 2010 at 10:30 PM  

What happy memories!!! Time passes so quickly - except when we were waiting for our little ones! Congratulations on being a mommy for two years!
;-) Kristen

Christine @ 12,450miles December 20, 2010 at 10:52 AM  

Time does fly once these little ones come home... doesn't it?! Happy Anniversary!

Michele December 31, 2010 at 8:20 AM  

None of us will ever forget the wait, the trip or those first moments with our new little ones. Happy Anniversary!

Labels

About This Blog

This started as my story, but has evolved to OUR story. This is the story of life as a single parent to a wonderful little boy while we wait for baby sister. China LID 2.12.07.


But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.
Habakkuk 2:3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP