Saturday, January 24, 2009

Today Show

Because I have been so private about a lot of things in my life (believe me, it’s not limited to just the adoption) I have struggled with what is safe to put out there about me, but especially more now that the Spud has come into my life. 

After much thought and consideration (and pleading from some people) I have decided to let you in another something in my life.  My life and my son’s life are no longer so private. 

Today Show--Cost of Adoption Segment

I looked at the greater good which is why I agreed to allow them to be a part of my son’s adoption story.  I know that there a lot of people out there who want to adopt.  When people have learned that I am adopting/have adopted I often hear “oh, I always wanted to do that, but it is too expensive”.   It is expensive and it is difficult and it definitely heartbreaking somewhere along the way, but if we continue to follow that path, at the end there is usually a child that brings us unspeakable joy. 

As a single woman, like so many of you reading this blog, things are not stacked in our favor.  It is often more difficult to find an agency that will work with us.  Since we are one income household it is difficult to find the money.  I am not rich.  I spend $200 per year on clothes/shoes/purses/accessories/etc.  I don’t buy Starbucks unless it is bought for me.  I don’t have cable TV and until I took a job that required a high speed internet connection I lived with dial-up.  I don’t often eat out just as I don’t eat the sushi that I love unless it is a special occasion.  As a single it is much more difficult to find organizations that give adoption grants or low/no interest loans.  Believe me, I have looked.  Most require a check box in the married box on the form and others also require families to follow a particular faith.

I feel very blessed that I stumbled across HelpUsAdopt.org and they were able to provide a handsome sized grant.  Becky was certainly an answer to prayer.  I remember stumbling across their website and seeing that the packet had to be in in only a few days or I wouldn’t meet the deadline.  I remember writing the essay—pouring out everything that was on my heart, just in case.  When I took the envelope off to the post office I had to pay a pretty penny to ship it overnight.  I kissed the envelope goodbye and said a prayer expecting nothing. 

Not only did I receive a grant, I got to be a part of something greater.  I got to be a part of Becky’s dream to assist those of wanting to start a family—regardless of marital status, race, sexuality, religion, etc. 

So, for any of you reading this I hope you will consider giving money to HelpUsAdopt.org and assisting this dream that will allow MORE families to adopt.  And for those of you, like me, who had a dream but had difficulty finding the funds, please contact HelpUsAdopt.org.

Vietnam and Duc 144

My beautiful son.

6 comments:

Dawn January 24, 2009 at 9:56 AM  

How wonderful of you to shre your story with the world. I pray that more PAPs see the segmant and apply for a grant. Money is the main obstacle for MANY people.

Kate January 24, 2009 at 10:24 PM  

Erica,

Thanks so much for sharing your story. Beautiful. I pray your story inspires others who feel adoption is out of their reach.

Unknown January 25, 2009 at 8:16 AM  

Wow... what a beautiful segment that was. You should be proud. Hopefully people will have a better understanding and know that adoption is possible.

Cinnamon January 25, 2009 at 10:37 AM  

It was a great show and how wondrful that they were able to help you bring the Duc home!

Michelle January 26, 2009 at 12:27 PM  

Amazing. That's great you opened yourself up like that, I'm sure it wasn't easy.

Meredith January 26, 2009 at 8:48 PM  

You're famous! :) What a great story - so glad you shared!

Labels

About This Blog

This started as my story, but has evolved to OUR story. This is the story of life as a single parent to a wonderful little boy while we wait for baby sister. China LID 2.12.07.


But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.
Habakkuk 2:3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP