Saturday, September 6, 2008

I'm ok, really

Just wanted to assure people that I am doing fine, especially after my particularly whiny post last time.  I wasn't sure what to expect or what I would feel on Monday, but truth be told, I didn't feel much of anything.  Honestly, part of me felt relief that it was done (not that is was over, but because I anticipated all the highs and lows would finally end). 

After the uber-sucky birthday (yeah, I'm still smarting over that) I decided to stay in my PJs all day and watch Dexter, Season 2 videos that my mom got me for my birthday.  It's become a trend now--last year was season 1 and I'm sure next year it will be season 3.  That's all right, I actually enjoy those kinds of gifts.  Every year for Christmas my dad buys me the same fancy chocolates (oh my they are so decadent and spicy--I get excited every time I see them--curry and paprika, sugar-crystaled violets and red chilis, it is truly amazing what this company does with chocolates.  If you want the name, let me know and I'll email you) and a funky new flashlight.  No kidding.  I have at least 2-3 flashlights stashed in each room in my house.  It started as a joke, but I have gotten so many cool flashlights (did you know Hummer makes flashlights?) that I really look forward to this gift.

So, anyway, I watched almost the entire season of Dexter in one day.  It was awesome.  I truly needed the downtime.  And when I returned to work on Tuesday I discovered that although I did not get the usual party and cupcakes that all the other employees get (my boss' birthday was only a few days after mine which explains why mine will never be celebrated) several of my co-workers remembered the day and celebrated.  I was truly moved by the gifts I got and someday I might actually get around to posting the photos!

I have decided I need to do something fun for myself.  I have gone out nearly every night this week with my friends and it just felt good.  It felt good to not be tied to the computer and clicking refresh on my e-mail 6,000 times a day.  I'm not sure what I want to do next.  I'm signed up for at least one work related class so that will be a distraction.  I am seriously thinking about a vacation.  Aside from holidays and the one or two days I had off during my mom's surgery or visiting Kristen, I haven't had any vacation in a year.  Kris and I have talked about taking a little vacation to Hawaii, but I have also been thinking of visiting extended family in Hong Kong.  Of course, I had wanted to visit the Greek Isles after graduating with my last degree, but buying a house got in the way of that though. 

I'm not sure what plans I have for the blog at this point.  I probably won't have as many things to report and write on and it might largely become a 'fluff' blog like my other one.  Right now I'm just not feeling the strong urge to write, at least not in this forum.  My other blog has been sorely neglected for better than two weeks now and I do need to attend to it at some point. 

Feel free to check back in later and drop me a line when you are around.  It has been so nice to get to know the many PAPs and APs over the last year. 

For those that did not receive referrals before September 1st, please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.  I certainly hope Vietnam opens it's doors again soon.  I am constantly aware that although it is terribly disappointing for all those who have been trapped in this mess, it is worse for the kids.  We can come home each night to an air-conditioned or heated home.  We can eat or drink whatever we want because we can afford to.  We don't have to wonder where the next hug will come from or if anyone will comfort us when we cry.   We still live good lives and want for little.  I wish at least that much for every child.

4 comments:

Unknown September 6, 2008 at 7:54 PM  

I'm glad to hear you are doing okay and taking care of yourself. I will continue to read as long as you continue to write : )

Shea September 7, 2008 at 10:41 AM  

I really feel for you. Unfortunately there are few options for international adoption now that we're ready to build our families, especially for singles. I always felt a pull to adopt from Vietnam but my province didn't have an agreement with Vietnam. It's very frustrating to know that there are many kids in the world needing a home but we can't provide it.

I know it's hard but keep the faith that you will have a son and daughter. In the meantime take a vacation and save as much money as you can. You'll burn through it once your kids are home!

Anonymous September 8, 2008 at 12:45 AM  

Happy belated birthday, Erica. It was good to hear from you. I'm glad that your co-workers make you feel special! I'll be happy to read your "fluff" any day of the week, so when you feel up to it, keep posting it. :)

Anonymous September 10, 2008 at 5:28 PM  

I love fluffy blogs, so I'll be hoping you keep on posting. I feel so awful for everyone involved in the VN debacle. So sad to see so many great people lose the opportunity to give a child a loving home in all of this. Who knows what will happen next, though (either in VN or elsewhere). Keep the faith.

Also, LOVE Dexter. So gruesome, so fabulous.

Labels

About This Blog

This started as my story, but has evolved to OUR story. This is the story of life as a single parent to a wonderful little boy while we wait for baby sister. China LID 2.12.07.


But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.
Habakkuk 2:3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP