Saturday, July 24, 2010

I should have known

How can a place that never knew me leave such a longing in my soul? How can a city or a country leave such an indelible impression on me. My life. My home. My heart.IMG_6123

I supposed I should have guessed that it was coming. It has been 18 months since Vietnam. Eighteen months since the suffocating heat of Saigon, the spices in the market, the smell of pho broth first thing in the morning and the last thing at night. In many ways it feels like my life began right there in central Vietnam on a beach next to the sea. There are so many memories of that time. The smells, the people. the texture of the sand and surf against my feet. The smell of that horrible fruit that was forbidden in so many of the hotels. I laughed when I saw the signs until I smelled it for myself.

IMG_6210

IMG_6218

Last week my mom was teasing me. She told me that someday Duc is going to meet a nice girl and bring her home to meet mama. He’ll brag about my pho (it is seriously as good as what I had in Vietnam) and spring rolls. He’ll tell her about my dipping sauce or any number of recipes I may master between now and then. I wonder how much of a surprise she will have when she sees that Duc’s mama is a white woman that can cook like her mama?IMG_6289

Yeah, I miss Vietnam. I miss my son’s first home.

5 comments:

The Baxter Family July 25, 2010 at 7:24 AM  

We miss Vietnam, too. It will always hold a very special place in our hearts, and we can't wait to go back one day.

kitchu July 25, 2010 at 9:42 AM  

strange how we all seem to be introspective about that time period now. i look so forward to returning and being able to really embrace the culture. the trip was too difficult the first time for that.

and hey, your boy may very well bring home an all american girl :) not that she'd be any less impressed with your cooking!

Kelli July 25, 2010 at 10:20 AM  

I miss it too...a lot. We need to have our VN cooking day this fall. I am trying to perfect my fresh spring rolls and found a good recipe for fried ones...

Christine @ 12,450miles July 25, 2010 at 8:44 PM  

It's my mission to perfect my pho this fall (not. even. close. right now.) I'm literally salivating thinking about it!

I have a similar feeling for Korea. And as kitchu said, I look forward to going back because I just couldn't absorb it the first time. That trip was to my boy... the next trip will be to our family's other country.

Michele July 29, 2010 at 7:51 AM  

I miss Vietnam too and I agree that the first trip was too tough to truly get immersed in it. I will be counting the days until we can return.

Labels

About This Blog

This started as my story, but has evolved to OUR story. This is the story of life as a single parent to a wonderful little boy while we wait for baby sister. China LID 2.12.07.


But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.
Habakkuk 2:3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP