Sunday, February 21, 2010

Easy Does It

Thank you to those that provided advice and support after last week’s post.  I truly appreciate it.  I’ve been a parent for 14 months + 2 days and I’ve learned that there isn’t a one-fit parenting method.  I’ve learned that what worked last week may not work this week or any week following it.  It’s an evolving process and I took this time to re-adjust my parenting.

IMG_3673 copy

Because he insists on being a big boy I forget that he isn’t too far from baby.  A lot of our troubles seem to be around meal time—throwing food, utensils and dumping food on the floor.  Some of that may be toddler related, but I knew that he didn’t always behave that way.  Duc began feeding himself when he was 9 months old and a few months ago he migrated from finger food to eating with utensils.  Lately though he had begun handing the fork over to me.  In my hurry and stressed state I didn’t realize that was my son’s way of trying to connect with me at a time when I was distracted and short on time.  So, now I am back to feeding my son.  Often time he takes the fork away from me a few bites in and if he sees my attention drift from him he prompts me again by passing me his fork.  IMG_3703 copy I’m even updating our bedtime routine for some more mommy-babe time.  I hold him close in the dark and sway while the music plays.  I can feel his little body relax and when he is ready he says “night-night” and I lay him down without tears. 

I’m still stressed and I’m still working longer hours, but I am making sure that the time I do have is devoted to him.  Quality, as we know, is often more important than quantity.IMG_3642

Today, Michael and I took him out while we did some photography around town.  He hung out, happy as a clam, playing with his cards when we took pictures of this and that.  We let him out to run on the trail and I was amazed that Duc could run as long and as fast as he could.  His little feet flew!  Oh,and Michael taught him to throw snowballs at mommy…not nice boys.IMG_3694

IMG_3695

 

IMG_3697

IMG_3698

IMG_3700

 

It was a good day and a nice end to a good weekend.

0 comments:

Labels

About This Blog

This started as my story, but has evolved to OUR story. This is the story of life as a single parent to a wonderful little boy while we wait for baby sister. China LID 2.12.07.


But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.
Habakkuk 2:3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP