Friday, May 9, 2008

The good, the bad, and the weird

Do you ever have those days where the good and bad were kind of intermingled and you weren't exactly sure how to feel about your day? Yeah, I had one of those days. Let's start with the good:

  • I am officially #4 on the agency list! Whoo hoo! I was initially concerned because the info that Kelli had initially received made it sound like we wouldn't have another referral until August--which didn't make much sense. Evidently that is when they are expecting the next status report. I decided I also needed to check in with my coordinator and this is the e-mail she sent me:

We had a few matches yesterday which will move you to #4. We expect more matches late May and more in June. I'd guess your chances are very good for getting a match before the shutdown. I'm not positive about your dossier, but XXXX emailed me at least a week ago needing your photos - which indicates to me it's being filed. I'll check on it, but typically we just don't know the dates.

That's awesome news, right?!?

  • I got off work early! Yippee! I met a former co-worker for lunch at our favorite Mexican restaurant. Normally I would have had a margarita (they are the best in the world, I swear. It's like liquid Valium. I have one and I'm ready to be tucked into bed).
  • The bad news. I have cellulitis along my left arm and elbow and the doctor is concerned it could be MRSA. As you recall, last weekend my family came to visit and we did a lot of yard work. What I didn't tell you was that I was exposed to a bird. Now, I realize that doesn't sound like a big deal to you, but for me, it's like Kryptonite. I have such a severe allergy and have horrible hives as a result. I had a really bad (but brief!) bird exposure nearly two years ago. It took 2 rounds of high dose steroids (and I gained 30# thank you very much), multiple creams and ointments and finally an around the clock dosing of a pre-op sedative (have you ever tried to carry on a normal life while on a sedative???) before I finally began to improve. It took 8 weeks and at the end of it, I developed a mild case of cellulitis over my upper arms. My skin didn't blister, but the skin did peel off. Cellulitis tends to be a chronic condition. Once you are develop it once, you are at much higher risk any time you have a break in the skin integrity. So, the hives that have spread across my arms, chest, abdomen and knees gave the infection a perfect place to grow. The doctor put me on an oral antibiotic and a topical antibiotic and gave me a steroid injection to curb some of the intense itching. Hives don't sound like a big deal to many people, but severe hives are very painful and very itchy. Last time I had them it just felt like my skin was on fire. So now I have a fire-engine-red arm with swelling and drainage (yeah, that's the best part--nothing like a bacteria river flowing down your arm). That's my bad news. I'm hoping that a long weekend at home will improve them.
  • The weird news: At first I thought I had a turkey in my yard. Noooo, it's a turkey vulture. That crazy animal is bigger than my cat! Just to get an idea of scale--the thing in it's mouth is a dead bird.

IMG_0329

Despite the bad news, at the end of the day I'm going to sleep better knowing that I am number 4!!!!!

5 comments:

Kelli May 9, 2008 at 9:44 PM  

Congrats on 4- sorry my email concerned you. Maybe I typed no more referrals until August instead of my referral won't come until August. Who knows? Regardless, it's exciting to be SO close!

Meredith May 9, 2008 at 10:24 PM  

#4 sounds like a pretty good number to me! Yea!!

Unknown May 10, 2008 at 7:19 AM  

#4!!!!! That is fantastic. Your going to be a mom in no time.... YAY!!!!

Sorry to hear about the infection. That is not fun at all.

And I have never seen a turkey vulture.... YUCK

Laura May 11, 2008 at 3:17 AM  

Holy crap, that "bird" is freaking me out. It's huge! We have these really giant birds that I call velociraptors (Jur*assic Park) b/c they're so big, but "your" bird? Yikes. So sorry about the bird incident. #4 is awesome! I had already figured out where you were in line when I saw all of the referrals. I'm so excited for you!

Jen May 12, 2008 at 7:52 PM  

Congrats on your number! That's a nice round number to start the summer with!

Labels

About This Blog

This started as my story, but has evolved to OUR story. This is the story of life as a single parent to a wonderful little boy while we wait for baby sister. China LID 2.12.07.


But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.
Habakkuk 2:3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP