Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

First, an apology to my mother and Kristen.  Until I received Kristen's Happy Mother to-be Day Card on Friday I had no idea that it was this weekend.  Well, at least I won't be disappointed when my own children forget.  So, on Friday I called my mom to apologize for not even remembering to send a card.  You can imagine how I felt when I pulled a Happy Mother-to-be Day Card from my mailbox yesterday--from Mom.  Wow, I have to admit, I teared up with both cards.  I just wasn't expecting it.  Thank you both, it meant a lot.

At church today I knew I had to face a certain amount of Mother's Day rah-rah.  At one point during the song service the pastor asked for all the women to stand and for the men with them to stand (what the heck?--are they like ties?  Do you have to wear one to get through the door??).  He wanted all the men to sing a song over the women--the men were supposed to sing it to their wives, mothers, daughters--whomever was attending with them.  So I stood there with no one to sing a song to me and although it stung a little bit, I realized that I am my kids' mother and father and that seemed pretty cool to me.  Which segues me into the second half of my day...

...guess what I did for Mother's Day?  I bought a gas grill and repaired a kitchen sink!  Whoo ahh!  My neighbor, who also attends my church, is going to be picking up my new storm door (thanks Dad!) and either he or Michael's mom's van will be picking up the grill.  I'm so excited and I can't wait to fire that bad boy up this weekend when Kristen comes for a visit!  Can you tell by the number of exclamation points how excited I am today!

Here's my new Bad Boy:

grillIsn't he cute?

And while the sink repair isn't nearly as exciting, I still got a thrill in fixing it myself.  It is reassuring to know that even though I don't have a husband or boyfriend or anyone else around that is capable or willing to do home repair, that I am still able to do some of it. 

Even though the repair went well a few sour worms didn't make it through the process.  It's weird, yesterday I stopped eating myself out of house and home but all I want to eat is buttered sticky rice and sour worms.  A friend that also happens to be a nurse asked me about the arm today at church (she saw it when it was all gross on Friday).  I told her I was on steroids and the first thing she said is "do a low carb diet!  Eat only leaves and protein!"  Yeah, right.  I'm normally a huge meat eater and I'm currently trying to choke down a little chicken.  The smell and taste seem off.  All I want are carbs, darn it!  I'm still pretty jazzed up--I'm still talking too fast and going from thing to thing, but I do think the steroids are finally wearing off.  My house looks pretty awesome though! 

And in case I forgot to tell you....

                         HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!!!

3 comments:

Kelly May 11, 2008 at 9:52 PM  

Happy Mother's Day to you as well!

Kate May 12, 2008 at 5:21 PM  

Sticky Rice and Sour Worms? Somehow, that just sounds disgusting! =) hee hee

Happy Mother's Day!

Anonymous May 12, 2008 at 7:57 PM  

Happy Mother's Day! You're already a "mother" in your heart and when your child comes home, he will have one great Mommy who can not only love him and wipe away his tears, you can fix a sink, grill up dinner and then some!!!

Labels

About This Blog

This started as my story, but has evolved to OUR story. This is the story of life as a single parent to a wonderful little boy while we wait for baby sister. China LID 2.12.07.


But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.
Habakkuk 2:3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP