Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Rambling Thoughts

Yeah, that about sums it up.  I'm not sure I really have a lot to say adoption or otherwise. 

I have been really excited lately...even more than before the big fat embassy announcements regarding referrals.  It's kind of ridiculous actually.  I'm number 9 on the list and I should be at or near number 4 by the end of the week.  I came home this afternoon and saw a number that I didn't recognize on my caller ID.  Even though I know that I'm not going to get the call this week, somehow, I felt really excited.  Of course, my excitement waned a bit when I learned it was just someone from the Obama camp reminding me to vote.  Can you guess where I live?

I attended a lecture this morning about encouraging diet compliance with our patients.  It was really good!  So good that I decided to attend the lecture this evening that was open to the community.  Joe Piscatella was the presenter and he has been on talk shows, news shows and several PBS specials talking about obesity and tools that everyday people can use to get healthier.  He has a truly remarkable story.  It's of special interest to me for several reasons: I'm heavier now than I have been in years, I'm planning a big trip to VN this year and need to be in great shape, I want my kids to have good eating habits, I'm a single parent and I need to stick around, family history and personal history indicate that I need to be even more diligent than the average person.  This need for change has been building for months now, but I've had a couple of recent ah-ha! moments lately and decided it was time to act.  Sometimes you can keep on cruising by with things as they are--even if your weight hasn't changed, the distribution changes.  This is way too much information so feel free to skip over this part, but I've become a bit, uh, top heavy of late.  Unfortunately, the girls gotta go.  I have a feeling a good portion of it is hormonal since the same thing happened during the first new months of my first adoption.  It would be great to see if any studies have been done on women who are adopting vs. women that are pregnant.  So, my theory is that the exercise, especially the weight lifting, should increase my testosterone levels and balance out the other hormones.  I'm short and short waisted so everything is bunching up in the middle and my clothes have started looking really funny.  My company also has a health improvement plan that pays for various screenings and we receive gift certificates for working towards improving our health.  I decided to take advantage of a free registered dietician consult.  Years before I started hanging with the IS folk and their brand of geek (I say that lovingly since I have now joined the geekdom) I hung out with a rowdy group of dieticians.  Fortunately, I'll be meeting with one of the rowdy ones on Monday.  I'll let you know how that goes. 

In the meantime, enjoy the weather!  I'm looking forward to returning to regularly scheduled naps--I swear, every nap I have attempted over the last month has been interrupted by one of Clinton's crew.  I'm so looking forward to curling up on the couch tomorrow for a quick 15 minute nap!  I may still hate bedtime, but I LOVE nap time. 

3 comments:

Kelli May 7, 2008 at 1:15 PM  

I have to say I am so happy the primaries are over- my doorbell hasn't seen that much use in a long time!

Hope we get news soon!

Laura May 7, 2008 at 10:05 PM  

Okay, I started out really happy for you - it would be awesome for you to jump to number four - and ended laughing my butt off (still really happy for you, just laughing, too)! If the "girls" have to go, send 'em my way! I have more booty than I know what to do with (seriously - I've got to do something about that, like, yesterday) but I swear I have some sort of genetic deficiency that does not allow anything to collect up top. It just passes on by and heads down to the butt and thighs, where it all takes up permanent residence :) I started back to the gym three weeks ago and even though I'm not seeing any results yet, I feel so much better. It sounds like you have a great plan and from what I know of you on your blog, great resolve. You'll make awesome progress and you'll feel great. Good for you!

Kate May 8, 2008 at 9:06 PM  

I agree with the doorbell thing! I'm glad they're done with my neck of the woods.

Praying you get some good news soon!

Labels

About This Blog

This started as my story, but has evolved to OUR story. This is the story of life as a single parent to a wonderful little boy while we wait for baby sister. China LID 2.12.07.


But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.
Habakkuk 2:3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP