Sunday, July 27, 2008

Outsmarted by a 20 month-old and other realizations from the church nursery

Yeah, it's true.  I was corrected by a 20 month-old today.  Did it hurt my pride?  Nah, it was pretty funny.  Adrienne, the smarty pants, was playing with the baby swing...you know the kind where you dial a number and it rocks little babies?  That one.  There is a buckle system to snap the baby in in the event the swinging gets too vigorous or the baby slides out.  She was trying to get one of the four corresponding snaps to fit together.  As I watched her I tried to correct her, "No, Adrienne, I don't think those go together."

Boy was I wrong.  To prove to the girl that I was right I attempted to put the two snaps together that I thought went together.  They didn't fit.  So I tried her way--wow, it worked!  Fortunately she didn't gloat and I apologized for being an idiot. 

Kids like me.  I have never understood why.  I've never been one of those women that went out of my way to seek out babies at the grocery store.  I will smile and wave at them if I see them staring, but I do not engage otherwise.  Well, for whatever reason kids like me and it isn't long before they try to get close.  Eve, a very allergic 6 month-old, decided I was awesome today.  Her mom plopped her down across the room and within a few minutes she crawled over to me and wanted to play only with me.  That sounds lovely, but did you forget the allergy part?  The poor girl's eyes were constantly dripping, her nose was a faucet and when she sneezed (which was every few minutes) snot would go flying everywhere.  Oh, did I mention she's a puker?  Yeah, poor Eve proceeded to puke up everything her mother had just fed her.  After 8 spit-ups I lost count.  I've never seen anything like it--fluids were leaking out of this kid all over.  And because she liked me so much many of them wound up on me.  Yep, I walked out of there with booby juice spit up in various degrees of drying on my pants. 

And people wonder why I really didn't want to work the nursery? 

I like the kids, I really do, but I think it's more precious when the child is your own. 

Oh, stay tuned, I'm going to be posting some pics and videos of my last weekend tonight or tomorrow.  There are some things I don't post until I've had a chance to shock my family. 

5 comments:

Kate July 27, 2008 at 4:22 PM  

This cracked me up! Loved the "booby juice spit-up" remark! HA!

Hope you had a great weekend!

Anonymous July 27, 2008 at 4:56 PM  

Oh do I agree with your statement about it being more precious when the child is your own. If some strange kid (i.e., one that does not belong to me) puked on me, I'd puke on myself. I'm so not good with that stuff! So, it sounds like it feels good to be put in your place by a 20 month old! Ha ha ha!

Unknown July 27, 2008 at 7:12 PM  

Sounds like you have been hazed... but the good news is you passed and can now officially be in the mommy serority. Great Job!!!!

Kelli July 28, 2008 at 5:07 PM  

Ah, the little ones are always smarter than we are.

PS- you've been tagged!

Anonymous December 3, 2009 at 8:54 PM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Labels

About This Blog

This started as my story, but has evolved to OUR story. This is the story of life as a single parent to a wonderful little boy while we wait for baby sister. China LID 2.12.07.


But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.
Habakkuk 2:3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP