Friday, August 15, 2008

Looking forward

There are some good things to say about working overtime.  Anyone that knows me knows I'd rather have my free time than a fat check.  However, things are different when you are planning a family.  Any other time of the year overtime would be a no-no, but since we had to implement a new system hospital wide and support the users (which includes all the testing for the application and new devices, education of staff, etc.) the sky was the limit.  I could have worked 80 hours this week, but I'm not that motivated.  However the OT did/will provide me two things:

  1. A distraction from personal things.  Honestly, I have been too busy to think about if I will receive a referral.
  2. Baby money.  That's right, the OT money goes right into a baby account as will my on-call pay.

If I do not receive a referral by September 1, I have a back-up plan.  With the exception of maybe two people, my co-workers have no idea I am attempting to adopt.  Honestly, I just don't handle the questions that well so I'd rather not give them the opportunity to ask them.  When people ask me why I am trying to sock away all my vacation hours I tell them it is because I am planning a trip to Asia this year.  I usually don't tell them where or I tell them I am thinking of visiting Chennie in HK.  So, if I don't have a reason to go to Asia later this year, I have decided that I will be leaving the continental US no matter what.  Kristen and I had discussed this late last year and decided that we will go to Hawaii if we don't receive a referral this year.  I've decided that even if we need to drag her newly adopted 4 year-old daughter with us to Hawaii--we are going! 

I haven't given up hope.  Like I have mentioned--I am normally a realist, but I really can't be a realist when it comes to my kids.  Don't you always have to hope for the best?  I started working on a baby blanket for my little guy early this year, but since I tend to crochet when I'm stressed it has morphed into a big boy blanket.  Hmm.  I'll have to crochet another one if I receive a referral--there is no way this one is going to fit in a suitcase!  I'll try to post photos of it as I get closer to completion. 

4 comments:

Anonymous August 15, 2008 at 11:28 PM  

Ahhhh, Hawaii... We both could use a trip somewhere special! ~K

Kelli August 15, 2008 at 11:32 PM  

Hmmm...Asia does sound nice for a vacation if things don't happening. I think I may start researching.

Shea August 17, 2008 at 12:21 AM  

I'd love to see your baby blanket. I made quite a few baby quilts while I waited for my referral. I took a light fleece blanket to China and my daughter attached to it within a couple of days. I took it to cover her at night, and for when we were outdoors (we travelled in February). I never dreamed it would become such a security blanket to her, but I'm so glad I took it. To this day she drags it everywhere.

Anonymous August 19, 2008 at 2:41 PM  

OMG, I'm SO far behind. I clicked on the oldest post of yours that I hadn't read in Google reader (from the end of July) and it said that A Home for Haven doesn't exist!!! I almost freaked out. Anyway, I found your blog and I'm sorry I'm so far behind. I hope you're doing well in light of the situation (nearing the end of August) and that you do NOT get to go to Hawaii! And I mean that in the most positive way possible. Take care, okay?

Labels

About This Blog

This started as my story, but has evolved to OUR story. This is the story of life as a single parent to a wonderful little boy while we wait for baby sister. China LID 2.12.07.


But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.
Habakkuk 2:3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP