Saturday, August 16, 2008

Not enough hours in the day

I've been on-call for the last 49 hours of my life and I still have another 47 hours before I am free.  Last night I was up until 12:30 am--not because I wasn't tired, but because I had an annoying fly (you know those flies that glow kind of green and purple on top?  That fly) buzzing my head.  They aren't like ordinary house flies that are mostly silent, these stupid things make an annoying bzzzz sound when flying angrily through the room.  I tried hitting it with the wet washcloth.  No go.  I finally grabbed a fly swatter and got down to business.  I had sweet silence for about two minutes after killing it until I heard the familiar bzzz sound again.  It had a mate!  Finally, at 12:28 am they were both dead and I was just left to contend with killing the slow moving mosquitos.  The reason for the bugs are a story for another day.  blow fly

At 6:22 am today my cat decides that I need to get up.  At 7:14 am, my pager goes off indicating the same thing.  Unfortunately I've just spent the last hour working on something that I have no access in which to fix.  I'm so tired!  I'm so tired I don't even want to fix a bowl of cereal to eat, but I am too awake to go back to bed at this point. 

I hate to even complain about this because any time I do moms with kids are quick to point out that this is what motherhood is like.  If so, I'm pretty sure I won't get much sleep for the next 20 years.  That's also why I feel I need to soak in as much rest now so I am better prepared for if/when I do become a parent.   

Please pray that I get some rest today because I am back to work for another 12 or 13 hour day tomorrow.  I really hope I receive a referral so I can finally use the kid "card" at work.  Evidently they don't force parents with little kids to work such long hours (not that that is the only reason I want a kid--I hope you know that much about me by now!).  For years I have been forced to do on-call, work long hours, weekends and holidays because I didn't have any family, especially kids.  It's time for the hospital to finally pay up. 

0 comments:

Labels

About This Blog

This started as my story, but has evolved to OUR story. This is the story of life as a single parent to a wonderful little boy while we wait for baby sister. China LID 2.12.07.


But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.
Habakkuk 2:3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP