Sunday, February 22, 2009

Dread

I knew this day would arrive—it was inevitable.  It was also one of the reasons I was so reluctant to adopt as a single person without family in the vicinity.   What do you do when you wake up feeling ill and your child isn’t?

I woke up feeling so exhausted that I could barely move.  I don’t know if I am coming down with something or I’ve just been too busy and this was my body’s way of saying “sit your cheeks down!”   The joints ached and all I wanted to do was throw the blanket over my head and sleep.  All Spud wanted to do was get up early.  Of course it would also be a day when Spud decided only to take a short afternoon nap. 

The only thing harder than keeping up with him was the knowledge that I was shortchanging him a mother.  I hated that feeling.  But he is such a dear.  He seemed to know I wasn’t having a good day and for the most part stuck close by so I wasn’t having to chase him throughout the house.  He even spent some time on the couch with me—we curled up and played and I would try to make him laugh.  His laugh is like medicine for me.  And the strangest thing happened…I started feeling better.  Maybe the early afternoon nap we had taken was finally kicking in or maybe, just maybe, the joy of being with him revived me. 

 IMG_2168

Yep, that’s my little man trying to help me out.  What a sweetie!

3 comments:

Unknown February 23, 2009 at 6:38 AM  

I hope you are feeling better today. Even supermoms get sick once in a while. Get rest, drink fluids, and love on that little boy. You will be back to yourself in no time. I'm sending thoughts of chicken noodle soup your way!!

Kate February 23, 2009 at 8:24 AM  

Feel better soon! Wish I could come over to help you out!!!

kitchu February 23, 2009 at 2:30 PM  

hope you're already feeling better, but it sounds like your little man is as in tune with you as you are with him, and that is so cool!

Labels

About This Blog

This started as my story, but has evolved to OUR story. This is the story of life as a single parent to a wonderful little boy while we wait for baby sister. China LID 2.12.07.


But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.
Habakkuk 2:3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP