Monday, February 23, 2009

Oscar

I have not really been into the Oscars the past couple of years—it just seemed like an overly bloated version of its former self with a lot of self-congratulations for movies that the general American public never sees, or worse, doesn’t have the access to see.  Finally we had a year when many of us, even those living in more rural locations, had the opportunity to agree or disagree that these particular films were good or bad.  I think Hugh Jackman, the consummate performer, did an incredible job.  I didn’t watch all of the Oscars, but it really seemed that he brought old Hollywood glamour back to the show and it was a beauty to watch.

The Spud was down by 8 pm, but I was working feverishly to clear out my email in-box.  I still had unopened mail from the weeks we were in Vietnam and from the first few weeks we were home.  His room is also my office until I have the money and my contractor has the time to rebuild an office in my living room.  Spud got the boot a few weeks ago whenn Aunt Krissy and Cate were visiting and in an attempt to wade through the mess I have been trying to read and respond to emails more appropriately.  So, I went from 400+ emails in my inbox to 150.  Much more manageable, but I did miss the first hour of the Oscars.

Please tell me I was not the only one who really wanted the man with funky large teeth to win in the documentary category to win (I can’t remember which of the two in documentaries, but oh my goodness, wow).  I remember when I was young being so self-conscious of what I thought of as chiclet sized front teeth.  The rest of my teeth are smaller and they just seemed so obvious.  If I had known this man I would have felt a lot better about my teeth. I wonder if he had the same prison dentist I had (long story, but for some dental procedures I saw the prison dentist in his home office—no x-rays were performed and he was a bit “light” with the anesthetic.  Bad, bad memories which make for a good story some other time). 

Who else was ecstatic over the Slumdog Millionaire wins?  I saw Slumdog last week with Michael while my mom watched the Spud.  I loved it.  It was hard to watch some scenes, but the life and vitality that was portrayed was incredible.  And who is capable of not smiling when Jai Ho starts playing?  Not me!  I want to buy the soundtrack when I am working again.

And how excited is India for this film and it’s people???  Check out this video:

I love the person being interviewed for saying “it feels great and I am looking at them and they are all on the street and I am with them.  My heart is there.”

What an amazing film filled with hope.  If you haven’t seen it, I recommend it!

1 comments:

kitchu February 23, 2009 at 2:29 PM  

i am sad i missed the Oscars, especially knowing Slumdog walked away with MUCH deserved acclaim and awards. that film was amazing. and it brought back some incredible childhood memories fro me seeing it.

Labels

About This Blog

This started as my story, but has evolved to OUR story. This is the story of life as a single parent to a wonderful little boy while we wait for baby sister. China LID 2.12.07.


But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.
Habakkuk 2:3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP