Monday, February 2, 2009

When is enough, enough?

I am going to break away from the usual love-fest that my blogs have become since my son has arrived and look at something that has me shaking my head, wincing, and wondering where it all went wrong.

Last week Nadya Suleman gave birth to 8 surprisingly healthy babies.  I say surprisingly because it is a miracle all of them survived the pregnancy, but there is no way that they will leave the hospital without some sort of impairment as a result of being so premature.  Many multiples suffer from CP, blindness, respiratory problems, etc.  as a result of competing for adequate nutrition and oxygenation in the womb and being delivered early.  It is very taxing to provide the necessary care for these children and I imagine that the first couple of years are the most difficult.

It is being reported that Nadya is angling to sell her story for $2 million and wants diaper sponsorship and wants to start a career as a TV child care expert.  While I would normally be very hesitant to comment on any person’s choice to build a family, I feel her doctors should be held responsible in making some incredibly poor decisions.  I am a single mom and I love my son, but he keeps me very busy.  Nadya is a single, unemployed mom to 14 children under the age of 7, living in a 3 bedroom house with her parents (her mother has publicly come out and said her daughter is crazy and she is moving out). 

Who is going to be taking care of these children?  The better question is, who is going to be paying for these children?  Currently the state of California is paying for the care of her previous 6 children.  Since this story has come out the media love has cooled for Nadya.  If she can’t secure some sort of TV sponsorship and sell her story, will California pick up the  exorbitant cost of these special needs kids?  Personally, I think the physicians should have some fiscal responsibility. 

Obviously it sounds like Nadya has a few screws loose.  The real icing on the cake is that she is in school right now studying to be a mental health counselor.  No offense to my mother and others in her profession, but I think even they are aware that those that need the most help are often drawn to counseling.  Usually schools are pretty good about recognizing these people and weeding them out.

However, I could be wrong.  Perhaps Nadya will make a wonderful mother who will be able to bump Jon & Kate + 8 off TLC.  Maybe she will receive enough endorsements to care for her children adequately and will be able to hire the necessary help to raise these kids.  Maybe Ty Pennington and his building crew will build her a 15 bedroom home so they have room to grow.  Maybe one of the schools there will waive tuition so her children can go to college some day.  Maybe everything will work out and she will prove us all wrong.  I certainly hope so for everyone’s sake.

Either way, I know one thing for sure.  If Jon & Kate + 8 gives me nightmares, there is NO way I will ever watch Nadya + 14. 

7 comments:

Kate February 2, 2009 at 7:20 PM  

Great post, Erica. This woman infuriates me! I read that if the children remain healthy, by the time they are released from the hospital, the hospital costs would be well over $3million.

I use to really enjoy watching Jon and Kate and think they have a beautiful family, but all the product placements in the show and endorsements are getting to be a bit ridiculous.

Anonymous February 2, 2009 at 9:32 PM  

I couldn't agree more, 14 little kids is too much for any human to care for- especially when that includes 8 babies (even if by some miracle there are no special needs). How can there possibly be enough time to give all of them the attention that they need and deserve? Just impossible!

kitchu February 3, 2009 at 10:34 AM  

you need to have your own column in the NY Times. you have serious writing talent woman.

JessT79 February 4, 2009 at 5:17 AM  

Great post.

New reader. Love your blog and little one is adorable. :-)

WHAT? The state of California is paying the first 6 kids? How did that happen? WHY?

Here is some links thought you and other readers might be interested in reading.

Octuplets mom is not getting showered with gift shttp://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...0fzBIQD964DFIG0

15 minutes of fame fleeting
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/l...0,6983653.story

JessT79 February 4, 2009 at 5:19 AM  

I agree with what Kate said about Jon and Kate Plus 8. It use to be much more enjoyable in the beginning.

Dawn February 4, 2009 at 10:43 PM  

I agree with everything you said. What gets me about Jon & Kate + 8 is their new HUGE house!!! How do you rqaised 8 kids, buying that house (with land) on his salary?! Last I heard, the older 2 got to a private and VERY $$$ school. COME ON!! Is that TV show and book worth THAT much? I thought their last house was nice. This new one is enormous! She is a neat freak that fired her cleaning lady after 1 day and openly admits that she hasn't folded laundry since the little kids were born! I wish them ALL the luck.

Anonymous January 25, 2010 at 1:56 PM  

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks

Labels

About This Blog

This started as my story, but has evolved to OUR story. This is the story of life as a single parent to a wonderful little boy while we wait for baby sister. China LID 2.12.07.


But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.
Habakkuk 2:3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP