Sunday, April 26, 2009

Mama said there would be days like these

A mother always knows her child best.  I can remember having that feeling just a few weeks after my referral--a very bad feeling.  I was very concerned that he might have a particular illness and I would ask the other families that traveled before me to check.  Some told me to rest my mind because they take good care of the children there.  Something felt off.  And it was.  It was horribly off. 

I had the same feeling when I dropped him off for daycare on Friday. 

They called me around 11 am and told he was sick.  102* and pukey.  Even after Tylenol it only came down a little bit.  Saturday was better (thank God!) at least until his afternoon nap.  He awoke with a fever almost 103*.

Today is the kind of day that really measures the mettle of a mother.  The Spud is sick.  His fever was lower, but he just seemed off still.  I didn’t have to wait long to find out why.  In addition to a respiratory virus he has a stomach bug.  No need to go into detail there.

I am thankful I have such good friends.  I had plans to have a movie out with Spud’s Uncle, but it didn’t quite turn out that way.  Instead, the planned babysitter had to come to my house with PediaLyte, popsicles and Jell-O.  Spud’s Uncle M came over to keep us company and brought a movie that I am sure he was unable to enjoy over the crying.  And Aunt J (from the giggling video I posted a week or so back) came over and showed me what to do.  I don’t feel bad about my lack of knowledge—all the logic and training goes out the window when it is your own child. 

Addendum: I started this post nearly 12 hours ago when all I had was a sore throat and sinus drainage.  As the day progressed I began feeling worse and worse.  I’ve checked my temp twice in the last hour and I am ranging between 101.7 and 102.4.  In my urgency to get Spud to take fluid, any fluid, I neglected to drink anything (did I mention that he only had two wet diapers today—minus the diaper changed when he got up?).  Once again I have achy joints, chills, and snot.  Lots of snot.  Have I mentioned that I whine terribly when I don’t feel good?  It’s true, just ask any of my IRL friends and my family.  Big.  Whiney.  Girl. 

Hopefully Spud hasn’t been kissing any swine lately.  According to the news that is really bad for your health.

154_edited-2 Snot City, man.  At least this is clear, the stuff today is so not like yesterday’s. 

I don’t trust myself in my fevered state.  I had way too much fun playing with Kelli’s lenses yesterday and now that I have a laptop and a BlackBerry it is way to easy to fever shop to make myself feel better.  Yep, whiney, it’s the new….well, it’s my new sense of humor for a few days. 

You’ve been warned.

5 comments:

K April 27, 2009 at 1:19 AM  

Poor Spud and mommy! Feel better!

Laura April 27, 2009 at 4:45 AM  

Oh man, that just sucks. I hope both of you feel better soon. Okay, seriously, I'm such a freak about the swine flu that I kept getting more worried as I read. Glad you joked about it so I didn't have to. Really, though, if things get worse, go to the doctor. Let us know how you're doing tomorrow.

Rachel April 27, 2009 at 1:41 PM  

I'm sorry to hear that you're BOTH sick - feel better!!

(I'm sure it's not the swine flu...) :)

But honestly, it sounds awful. I am a big baby when I am sick, too. Get some rest if you can...

Kelli April 27, 2009 at 4:56 PM  

Yuck- sorry you have the ick now too. That is no fun. Feel better soon!

The Baxter Family April 27, 2009 at 10:28 PM  

I hope that you both feel better soon!

Labels

About This Blog

This started as my story, but has evolved to OUR story. This is the story of life as a single parent to a wonderful little boy while we wait for baby sister. China LID 2.12.07.


But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.
Habakkuk 2:3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP