Thursday, June 18, 2009

December 18th—Day of Duc

At 2:45 pm my life was forever changed. It was quite the experience. We are staying at a really nice resort and less than a mile turned off the road onto some rickety looking lane. We turned once or twice more and drove up to his orphanage. The road leading to his orphanage was very narrow and the road had lots of broken bricks and was very rough. The level of poverty here is unimaginable. It is truly heartbreaking, but that is a post for another time.100_0882_edited-1

We arrived at the orphanage and the very first room we entered is the baby room and his crib was just a few down from the door. When I first found him he was kind of crying and looking upset. As soon as I picked him up everything changed. He put his hands on both sides of my face, patted my cheeks and began smiling and laughing. The moment could not have been more perfect. He is very bright, very alert. He LOVES to be held, loves to cuddle, loves to be tickled. He sits up really well and the nanny attempted to show off his crawling skills by taking the toy I had brought and tossing it 18-24 feet away. The little guy hustled right over to it and picked up his book again! He can push his butt in the air with his feet and hands on the ground. The nanny would show off his balance by standing him up, letting go, and catching him as he began to fall. He will be a little dare baby! He loves to be fake dropped–like a roller coaster. He is very quiet, but if you really get him tickled he will laugh. When the nannies would take him from me or when Quoc took him for his passport photo he would reach for me and try to find me. Even when Oma was holding him he seemed to know that I was mama. I’d heard that they know that somehow and always thought it sounded silly, but I am beginning to think that they do indeed know. 100_0848_edited-1

One of the nannies showed off his chubby thigh and patted his thigh to indicate how chunky he was. She then patted my thigh–yeah, message received. Chunky baby, chunky mama.



He is beautiful! Very black hair that sticks straight up from his head. He has a natural mowhawk. Even when he is quiet he always has a hint of a smile on his lips. I’ve never seen any baby look like that before.



It was a beautiful moment, a beautiful day. As I told my mom, he is heaven on earth.

121_edited-1 (and a picture from now. I can’t resist:)

2 comments:

Anonymous June 20, 2009 at 8:53 AM  

Very happy pic of you two! Time flies, doesnt it?

The Baxter Family June 22, 2009 at 8:55 AM  

It's incredible how he just knew that you were his mama. You two were truly meant to be together.

Labels

About This Blog

This started as my story, but has evolved to OUR story. This is the story of life as a single parent to a wonderful little boy while we wait for baby sister. China LID 2.12.07.


But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.
Habakkuk 2:3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP