Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Lucky Charm

self portrait

I often tell people that Duc has blessed my life. But isn’t just that he blessed my life simply by being in it, he has become a sort of “lucky charm”. We keep falling into good things and while I realize that some of this is of my own making and is certainly built on my available skill set, it never happened to me before him. Some of it is because his presence in my life has brought me considerable joy and I am more relaxed in more areas of my life. But I suspect much of my fortunate is actually Duc.



Late last year the local newspaper began a photography contest for amateurs and professionals alike. Since it was in the environmental section of the newspaper (I live in a very “green” town) and they wanted to highlight the environment and it had to be photographed in 2009 and in the state of Indiana. As you know, I take zillions of photos of Duc, but NONE of my photos really fit the criteria. So I submitted this photo:

IMG_6621 copy

I received an email yesterday notifying me that I had won. You can’t even imagine how surprised I was that I had won. As I expressed surprise to one of the judges today he said “cute certainly doesn’t hurt”. Yeah, Duc is cute. We won a few small gifts and his photo will be blown up and prominently displayed in Friday’s paper. Pretty darn cool. They asked for some bio info on both of us and I included some cute things about Duc and about what I do for a living. In addition, and on a whim, I shared the new photography project I am undertaking. I’m not yet ready to talk specifics, but it is huge. Like really huge. Like, I am looking for funding to support the the project. It will take the entire year and will likely spill over into next year. It is not a “typical” photo job and is completely self-directed. If this actually works it will involve the three biggest passions I have had ever had in my adult life. Huge. Say a prayer, cross fingers, send vibes or whatever else you do but definitely keep this in your thoughts. I’m really excited! When I mentioned my project idea to the newspaper judge she was really excited by the idea (evidently no one has ever heard of anyone pursuing a similar project so yay!) and is going to bounce my project over to a reporter to write a story up on it to draw attention. Hopefully this will bring the necessary participants needed and *hopefully* some funding. Only time will tell.

IMG_2306 copy

IMG_2309 copy 2

If any of you have any experiencing for finding grants please contact me!



Oh, and if anyone thinks he is sitting on the potty in the above photo let me assure you he is not! He was sitting on the couch with his feet on the floor. It’s just an odd angle, which I kinda like:)

5 comments:

Angie January 6, 2010 at 12:12 AM  

YAY! COngrats on the photo contest...precious picture! I will be praying about your project...sounds exciting.

I just sent off my updated stuff a few weeks ago...I was a little like you...almost forgetting it...maybe because I am just frustrated with the whole lot of it...but it will be worth it. I pray to at least have a referral within this year...we shall see!

Anonymous January 6, 2010 at 1:28 AM  

OH! I'm in fundraising! I have a grant lead for you and IT'S IN YOUR TOWN. I haven't used it in a few years, but there is (or at least was) a free grant research group affiliated with the university. It's 1:30 am and I REALLY need to go to bed right now, but do me a favor? Send me an e-mail tomorrow to remind me to send you the info! myminivanrocks@yahoo.com

Kate January 6, 2010 at 2:58 PM  

Congrats and good luck on your project. I LOVE the first photo!

Sharon January 7, 2010 at 7:30 AM  

Congrats and good luck! It sounds huge and I can't wait to read more.

Michele January 7, 2010 at 8:42 AM  

Wow! Terrific and congratulations! And good luck. It sounds like this is all coming together well for you.

Labels

About This Blog

This started as my story, but has evolved to OUR story. This is the story of life as a single parent to a wonderful little boy while we wait for baby sister. China LID 2.12.07.


But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.
Habakkuk 2:3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP