Friday, June 13, 2008

Long Week

How is that this past week lasted longer than last week?  I tell you, the last two hours of my work day have become pretty painful.  It's like being a kid again and waiting for Christmas day and presents to arrive...in June.  I know it is because my heart is elsewhere and I'm not supposed to check email at work (which I'm pretty good about following).  Being without information and being afraid my agency will email instead of call--well, it's making me a bit nuts.

Making the week even longer are the constant storms that keep coming through.  Each time they come through they march across our electrical lines leaving me without power...and cable.  If my Internet service wasn't tied to my cable service, I wouldn't be so upset, but it does get irritating.  This will be the third Friday in a row that we have had storms.  Fortunately I haven't heard the tornado sirens yet today.

My mom sent me pictures that she took of the town I grew up in:Flood6  Flood8Flood7

The top two photos are of the bridge that link our two states.  It is now closed.  The bottom photo is the image you see as you are coming over the bridge and entering their town.  Evidently this is the worst flooding in 100 years.  When I was a kid I remember it flooding quite a bit, but not usually this bad.  Kids would canoe around downtown because the river would come up over their back yards.  Pretty scary stuff, although it seemed kind of cool when I was young.

I had so many things I wanted to write about, but now that I am sitting here and the fog of fatigue is settling over my brain.  I did get a rockin' new haircut.  I've been a little irritated with her because she just doesn't "get it" when I explain what I want and I am too lame to remember to bring in a photo.  Actually, it's not so much that I have forgotten, but I have been very disappointed in the past with other stylists when they have recreated something that looked nothing like the photo.  Anyway, I rock right now.  I always thought nose piercings were too trendy for me, but when I was in Hong Kong last year and saw a beautiful Indian woman with a small diamond stud, well, I've wanted one ever since.  My job frowns on facial piercings so I'm going to have to wait until my maternity leave so that they will have plenty of time to heal so I can take them out during the day. A little nose stud would so complete my look today. 

I'm also in the process of designing the tattoo I'm getting next month.  I've already decided I will be getting a lotus flower and my son's name, but I really wanted to wait until I had a referral.  Not because I'm afraid of the permanence, but I figure the endorphin release that I will get from that referral will probably block my pain receptors and I won't notice that the guy is tattooing right over my hip bone.  He caught it once or twice the last time, and I swear, I could feel it all the way in my toes and it did not feel good.  There are a couple of other tattoo designs I am working on.  As I mentioned before, a dragonfly in memory of my grandmother but there is another tattoo--a personal message and a promise that I need to be reminded of.  I remember my sister warning me that I shouldn't mark up my skin, but if I were to be honest, I am already covered with some surgery scars.  I'd rather have something positive to balance those out. 

2 comments:

Unknown June 13, 2008 at 9:23 PM  

Wow... You have a lot of changes going on there. I love the tatoo ideas. My husband has been designing a tatoo for him since we started the adoption process. He wants the lotus flower in it too. When you get it, you'll have to send a pic. As for me... no tatoos here... too chicken

Laura June 17, 2008 at 3:03 PM  

OMG - I've always wanted the little diamond stud in my nose, too. When I was in law school, I almost did it. But then the practical side took over and I thought that it might be inappropriate for jobs. Well....there's no employee handbook for stay at home moms, is there? If I'd only known then! :) I wish I would have done it. Now, I'm too much of a wus. I want to see photos of your new haircut!

Labels

About This Blog

This started as my story, but has evolved to OUR story. This is the story of life as a single parent to a wonderful little boy while we wait for baby sister. China LID 2.12.07.


But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.
Habakkuk 2:3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP