Friday, February 8, 2008

Vietnam, we have a problem Part II

This is the email I received today from another officer within the USCIS office:

This is nothing to be concerned about, it is just a general reference for the fingerprint people to know that it is an orphan-related petition.  We will be sure to issue you the appropriate notice associated with the I-600A.

I think I will only feel relieved when I receive my 171H.  This is not the same form I got last year. I don't think they know what they are talking about most of the time.  If they were half as diligent as a dossier-prepping parent, this would be a whole different government.

I did want to talk about yesterday's visit for my fingerprints.  I actually had a great time.  It was packed!  Last year it was just me and a couple of Mexicans.  This year most of the seats were taken.  I was the only white person and probably the only American born in the waiting room.  I was getting stared at quite a bit and some started asking me where I was from.  I know some people feel uncomfortable in those situations, but I think it is good for people, especially adoptive parents, to experience something different.  For many of our children, this will be their future. A dark face in a sea of paleness. 

Once they realized I was homegrown, they started asking if I could explain their paperwork to them.  It was fun!  I got to help Jesus and Jorge get in the right line (there are several, you know).  There was an East Indian mom and daughter that were were rather fun.  Once you present yourself and your paperwork to the correct line, they give you a form to fill out: ht/wt, eye/hair color, DOB, SS#, etc.  The Indians were laughing over the eye/hair color question--in that room, there were no blondes or redheads, only dark hair and eyes. 

I think I have posted this quote by Isabella Rossellini before, but I love it: 

Biological children bring the magic of your own genes, but adoption has the dimension of connection--not only to your own tribe but beyond, widening the scope of what constitutes love, ties, and family. It is a larger embrace. If more people adopted, we would stretch past our immediate circles and, by reaching out, find an unexpected sense of belonging with others.

1 comments:

Anonymous February 9, 2008 at 9:33 AM  

Erica,

I totally agree with you - it's important for us to put ourselves in places where WE are the minority. I love that you were able to help some people while waiting. Thanks for the quote - I had been looking for that! I'm thinking positively for you - in two weeks you'll have your I-171.
-Shasta

Labels

About This Blog

This started as my story, but has evolved to OUR story. This is the story of life as a single parent to a wonderful little boy while we wait for baby sister. China LID 2.12.07.


But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.
Habakkuk 2:3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP