Saturday, March 7, 2009

Best day ever

At 2 pm I realized that today was the best day that Spud and I have shared together since coming home.  It wasn’t that the other days were wrong or that we didn’t have good times, but today felt exceptional for a lot of external reasons.

Firstly, I hung a dark bed sheet over Spud’s east facing bedroom window and he slept until 8 AM!  Thank goodness.  I was tired of waking up at 6:30 am. 

Secondly, today was the warmest, most beautiful day since we have come home.  It was warm enough that I was in my capris and Tees and Spud was sweating while wearing his bib overalls.  I had the windows open and aired out the house. 

For lunch we met some of my friends who haven’t met Spud yet and he was, of course, the little performer.  He is just a little love bug he has a way of making everyone smile. 

In the afternoon I took him out in the yard and we pushed a ball around.  Unfortunately he was more interested in eating dead grass and twigs.  IMG_1662

IMG_1667

If that wasn’t enough of a great day, guess what Spud did?  He took his first steps!!!!  Nine months (and two weeks) old and he took his first steps.  Believe me, I have not been pushing him towards this, but I was so relieved that he took the steps before I return to work.  I thought the first step was a fluke, but half an hour later he took another three consecutive steps.  I’ll be honest, I started crying a bit.  I was so excited to see him reach a milestone and I was even more excited that I didn’t miss it.  He was in such great shape when I met him—he was already sitting up, crawling, and could pull himself up to a stand.  I didn’t want to miss this. 

I am so thankful for such a wonderful day—perfect weather, a big milestone for the Spud, a good meal with good friends (the Spud ate my eggs and home fries.  He’s eating off a fork now also). 

Last night I was working on my taxes and I finally totaled up all my adoption expenses.  Honestly, I have no idea where I was able to find all the money, but I am so glad I did.  All the penny pinching and going without was worth it, but I will admit I am looking forward to getting my tax return this year.  I really hope they don’t do away with the adoption credit in 2010 because I would love to use it to help bring my daughter home..whenever that might be.

I actually hated to put him down for bed tonight.  Generally, I can’t read him a book at night because he is just so busy.  He’d rather eat the book than look at it.  But tonight my little love bug let me hold him tight and read him a book.  He tolerated it so well I read the book two more times.  I am so thankful that I have these precious moments with my son.  I remember reading someone’s blog while I waited and the mom said she loved her daughter more today than she did yesterday and she will love her even more tomorrow.  I understand that now.  It’s not that I don’t love him, but I find that with each passing day I find yet another thing about him that makes me fall even deeper in love with him.     

Only one more day until I return to work. 

3 comments:

Kate March 8, 2009 at 9:17 AM  

Yay, Spud! Wait until you really start walking...momma's in for a treat! :)

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Kelli March 8, 2009 at 2:06 PM  

Wow- way to go big guy, he'll be running before you know it! It did feel wonderful to get outside and air out the house!

kitchu March 8, 2009 at 5:01 PM  

SO glad you were there for that HUGE milestone!!! What a perfect day indeed!

(And omg, they aren't TALKING about doing away with the adoption tax credit are they? Cuz if that happens i am DEAD IN THE WATER. I am 200% COUNTING ON THAT).

Labels

About This Blog

This started as my story, but has evolved to OUR story. This is the story of life as a single parent to a wonderful little boy while we wait for baby sister. China LID 2.12.07.


But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.
Habakkuk 2:3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP