Sunday, March 1, 2009

Family

I decided to surprise my parents with a visit on Wednesday and Thursday.  They live out of state, but after receiving an email that was sent to my father and forwarded to me I realized that Spud hasn’t just impacted my life, he has impacted those around us—family and friends and the ripples extend even further to people that have never met us.

I knew my father would be thrilled to be surprised by Spud and I knew he would LOVE to show him off to his co-workers.  My dad shares more with his co-workers than I ever do so I know they have been involved with this adoption since the beginning.  I couldn’t take any pictures inside of their confectioner’s paradise (he works for a HUGE candy corporation), but I can share these from home:

IMG_2245

For some reason this picture just brings tears to my eyes.  I love the way that they just look at each other.  My son has this amazing way of connecting with people.  He just holds their gaze and makes them feel like they are the only two people in the world.  When those two are together I am completely forgotten—it’s just Spud and Opa.

IMG_2248-2

The eyes say it all.

What amazed me most was visiting my father’s office and finding that every single picture I have sent my father of my son has found a place in his office.  The photo of Spud from our photo shoot is his screen saver on his computer.  The Valentine’s Day card that I emailed was printed and on his desk.  He paraded Spud proudly around the plant making sure that everyone had a chance to see him.  He got passed around to everyone that extended their arms.  I am fortunate that Spud and I have bonded so well.  He does ok with being passed to strangers as long as I stand next to him and he can see me. 

I have one week left of maternity leave.  It’s going to be a tough week and I just want to soak up every single second with my son.  I am trying to force my brain to remember these little moments with him.  These little giggle-fests that we share, rocking with a bottle before a nap, meal time with lots of smiles and lately, spit food.  I shouldn’t laugh when he does—I’m sure it just encourages him, but I can’t help myself. 

2 comments:

Christine @ 12,450miles March 2, 2009 at 1:36 PM  

Hello! Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog... I'm looking forward to reading about your journey (can't get enough of those these days!). Spud is ADORABLE!

kitchu March 2, 2009 at 3:17 PM  

wow. blown away by this post. what a blessing your family is... must have felt incredible to have your dad parade him around- i just cannot imagine. really, cannot. LOVE these pics.

Labels

About This Blog

This started as my story, but has evolved to OUR story. This is the story of life as a single parent to a wonderful little boy while we wait for baby sister. China LID 2.12.07.


But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.
Habakkuk 2:3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP