Saturday, March 21, 2009

Mr. Tran has left the building

The Spud has a lot of names.  He has the name the orphanage gave him that is only used when we go to the doctor’s office.  I also call him Babylicious and, of course, Spud.  Spud began when we were in Vietnam.  I have no idea why.  The name I had chosen for him was perfectly fine, but Spud would sometimes slip out.  It has slipped out more and more frequently which I realize confuses people.  Now my family and friends call him Spud or Spudford (I can’t recall if Laura or Jerri started that, but it cracks me up!).  I call him Spudster, Spud-a-roo and any variation on that name. 

Well, today, I am thrilled to announce that the Spud has a new name.   A legal name.  Introducing Liem Khanh Duc:

 IMG_2053-2

I wasn’t trying to be secretive or even private about his name .  I’m just kind of funny about details.  Initially when people would ask his name I would say “Duc” and then clarify that it wasn’t yet his legal name.  Who cares?  Obviously me.  See the following conversation that my mom and I had two days ago.

Mom—So the ticket costs $300?

Me—No, it’s $299.20. 

Mom—So, $300.

Me—Almost

What’s the big flippin’ deal about accuracy?  I have no idea.  Anyway, I am celebrating this weekend since his name is changed and his dedication is occurring at church tomorrow.  I’m so excited to be able to celebrate this moment with many of my family and friends who have been there for me since the beginning.  Since they couldn’t all travel to VN with me this is the next best thing.

So his name isn’t Haven like I originally planned.  He just isn’t a Haven.  He’s a big, strong boy and from the time of his referral I realized that he is built like a football player and the sound of the crowds chanting “Haven” at ball games just didn’t work for me.  Duc, however, still did so that is what we call him.  He looks like a Duc (pronounced like DUKE).  Honestly, until almost our last day in Vietnam I still didn’t have a name picked out for him with any degree of finality.  For several days or weeks following his referral I wracked my brain trying to come up with a name.  The Western names just didn’t seem to fit him so I started looking at Vietnamese names and after a while I happened across Liem.  It is pronounced slightly different than Liam, but I suspect most Westerners will just pronounce it the same and that is fine with me. 

Spud responds to either Spud or Duc.  I often say to him “Hi, Duc Duc!” and a few days ago after I said that to him he turned to me and said, “Hi Do Do”.  I almost died laughing.   

Today we spent the afternoon playing outside before heading to the mall.

IMG_2059 Ok, there isn’t anything magical about the bay leaves can.  I turned it into a little noise maker by adding pennies and gluing the lid shut.  I did that months ago and it is still one of his favorite toys.  He just loves to shake it, grawing on it and beat it on things.

 IMG_2067He LOVES to eat bark.  Fiber, babe, fiber.

IMG_2070

4 comments:

Anonymous March 22, 2009 at 7:45 AM  

Congrats on the new, legal name.
And very cute pictures if I do say so myself.

Kelli March 22, 2009 at 7:59 PM  

Congrats on the new name- of course you know I love it! Aiden seems fond of getting his fiber through grass and leaves!

kitchu March 23, 2009 at 11:31 AM  

well.. you know how much i love the name you chose... congratulations on his upcoming dedication as well...such a beautiful boy with so many beautiful names that just mirror all the aspects of his personality :O)

Anonymous March 23, 2009 at 10:19 PM  

Love that long hair on his forehead!

Labels

About This Blog

This started as my story, but has evolved to OUR story. This is the story of life as a single parent to a wonderful little boy while we wait for baby sister. China LID 2.12.07.


But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.
Habakkuk 2:3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP