Wednesday, March 25, 2009

No braggin’

I have finally reached the age where I am no longer competing with other women for the best haircut, the newest jeans, the sparkliest nail polish (ok, I never did compete but you get the idea).  Now the “competition” has entered an entirely new level—now the questions aren’t about me, they are about my son. 

“Is Duc crawling yet?”

“Is he able to feed himself?”

“Does he sleep through the night yet?”

I’m not the kind of parent that brags about what my son does (but yes to all three of those questions and more!).  I don’t think it is productive—for me or the other mother.  Besides, it really isn’t a fair comparison.  But I will do it here because this is my blog and you guys were crazy enough to check it today!

The boy is smart. I think because I am a first time mom I don’t see this because I don’t have another child to compare him to, but I do know from what other people have said that he is a very bright, advanced child. 

Today the Spud saw the pediatrician and he confirmed that he is in awesome shape.  He told me it isn’t just a matter of comparing him to other institutionalized children—in that arena alone he is amazing.  But even compared to children born in the US he is still off the charts.  Developmentally he is on level with children 4-5 months older. 

When people start worrying about their child’s status and ask me where Spud is developmentally I tell them it would be unfair to compare.  He just doesn’t fit in the same category.  I’m sure they probably think that I say that to feel better about their child’s status.  I don’t bother to correct them.  Of course, in my eyes he will always be exceptional. 

He hasn’t grown much and he hasn’t even gained a full two pounds.  WTH?  The kid is breaking my arm!  I wrenched my wrist when we were in VN, but since coming home and returning to work (where my hands are on a non-ergonomic keyboard for 8+ hours a day) my wrists, especially my right is killing me!  Holding him hurts, but so does any kind of pressure on it.  I can’t even hold my laptop with one hand.  I’ve been wearing a wrist splint at work, but it isn’t feasible at home. 

I’m such a weenie.  Unlike this guy:IMG_2121

IMG_2131

I love that it is getting warmer.  The Spud gets to feel the wind on his skin on a lot more these days. 

5 comments:

Anonymous March 26, 2009 at 7:24 AM  

I totally get this post. My son's best buddy is a great talker. I mean, he puts full sentences together, while my kid says "Firetruck" eight thousand times in a row. So, I constantly try to find other things he is good at to speak about.

Kelli March 26, 2009 at 7:21 PM  

He is an amazing boy! Funny, I am wearing a wrist splint at night and at work- the joys of motherhood!

Kate March 26, 2009 at 9:35 PM  

I love coming on hear to read about your spudinator! Brag away! :P

kitchu March 27, 2009 at 4:23 PM  

smart and adorable, he's got a LOT going for him :) hope you can get your hand looked at. accupuncture took care of my carpal tunnel.

Laura March 28, 2009 at 11:02 PM  

So he's cute AND smart? You have to brag. it's your job as a mom.

Labels

About This Blog

This started as my story, but has evolved to OUR story. This is the story of life as a single parent to a wonderful little boy while we wait for baby sister. China LID 2.12.07.


But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.
Habakkuk 2:3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP