Friday, March 21, 2008

Negativity on the yahoo groups

Wow, has any one else noticed the upswing in negativity on a particular yahoo group devoted to Vietnamese adoption???  While I find the overall community more closeknit, I've been horrified to find that they are biggest group of flamers!  Before I began the process, I was directed to two different groups--one that researches the agencies and another devoted to VN adoption.  On the latter, I posted once and was so horribly flamed by people that didn't have a clue about the subject that I quickly got off that group!  Currently, aside from my agencies, I belong to two VN adoption groups.  One that I find very supportive and informative and another that flames repeatedly.  The only reason I read it at this point is because I find it so funny.  These people are so quick to flame someone else's opinion (or fact) and then end it with a prayer for their ignorance.  Really, if I didn't feel it was inappropriate I would paste parts of their messages here.  I was actually reading their posts online to my mom last night for entertainment.  Unfortunately I suspect the time is quickly coming that I will have to sign off that group also.  I really don't get any good information from it, and it probably isn't appropriate to mock them.  It's really sad, too, that we can't all get along.  This could be such a good resource for adoption and prospective adoptive parents, but I think they are all so stressed over the current state of adoption affairs in VN and they are lashing out at each other.  No one can tell fact from rumor and most agencies aren't any better at disseminating the correct information because, honestly, we just don't know anything right now. 

So, once again, Positive Posters will resume on Monday (sorry the hiatus, I had some challenges with my work laptop last week) and I thank you for all your support and encouragement the last few months.  It really, really, really has made a huge difference.  Thank you. 

3 comments:

Anonymous March 22, 2008 at 9:16 AM  

Let's just say that I only receive the daily digest from our agency's group these days. I have no idea what is going on anymore but at least I'm not freaked out and scared! I hate that our adoption community seems so catty on the Yahoo boards. We could help each other out so much if we just settled down!

Kelli March 22, 2008 at 10:13 AM  

It's getting crazy on that board. I sometimes scan it but try to stay away.

Unknown March 22, 2008 at 1:47 PM  

I put myself to no email (internet only) a couple months back. This allows me to go on when I want and browse the title looking for adoption information. It was the best thing I did for my peace of mind. I can tell you I go on probably once a week and find maybe 2 strings of useful information. No stress, no figuring out fact/fiction. I love it. Good luck.... Happy dossier prep time by the way!!!

Labels

About This Blog

This started as my story, but has evolved to OUR story. This is the story of life as a single parent to a wonderful little boy while we wait for baby sister. China LID 2.12.07.


But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.
Habakkuk 2:3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP