Sunday, March 30, 2008

Movies and adoption

I want to say thank you to the person who responded to my last post and to Kristen who confirmed it is normal (she's a teacher).  I felt like a schmuck and debated whether it was blog worthy, but it has been weighing on my mind.  I haven't heard anything further from the pastor's wife, but I will let you know when I get going with this.

I have some things I want to post on, but I'll be honest, I'm exhausted.  I feel like I just need a break.  It's more than a physical fatigue, it's an emotional exhaustion from all the stress related to the waiting for that stupid piece of paper and not have any time off of late.  I have been traveling so much the last few months and I look forward to having a full month at home.  Actually, I am praying for several months at home.  Traveling while I am "expecting" stresses me out.  It probably sounds crazy, because accidents can happen anywhere at any time (see Exhibit A). 

Anyway, I need some serious veg time.  I have tomorrow off because I worked all weekend and even though I really can't afford it right now, I'm considering taking off Friday also.  I just want time to recuperate, clean my house, finish my taxes, and begin NESTING. 

So, the first step of this plan is getting some SERIOUS MOVIE TIME.  I will be able to watch movies and crochet and that is the fastest way to soothe my soul.  It's the repetitive motion--if it works for psych patients, it will work for me.

So, wandering down the aisle of the local video store I was amazed, surprised, excited to find a couple adoption themed movies.  The first I picked up is Angels in the Dust.  I am really looking forward to this movie, but I am also a little nervous.  I have felt called/drawn whatever verb you want to use to orphanages and orphans since I was very young.  I have never known where it would lead me and I still don't, but I have known for years that I would someday be involved with orphanage work (and this is totally unrelated to adoptions).  Anyway, the movie is the story about Marion Cloete who started an orphanage for more than 550 South African children.  Maybe I am building it up too much in my mind, but I expect to be deeply moved by this.  

angels in the dust

The next movie is Martian Child.  I briefly remember advertisements for this movie and I am curious how adoption is portrayed--especially as it pertains to singles.  My expectations are pretty neutral.   Martian Child

The last one is Death at a Funeral.  I love English comedies!  In my opinion they have the best sense of humor without dumbing things down for the viewer.  I have a macabre sense of humor so I'm looking forward to watching something on my perverse level.  

Death at a Funeral

Anyway, I'll try to give a review once I get through these.  Hopefully I get through all three this week!

3 comments:

Jennifer March 31, 2008 at 3:13 PM  

Martian Child was actually a great movie. Jody and I loved it. I think it did a great job of portraying the single parent adoption and illustrating that adoption isn't just a "plan b" but is the choice that a lot of people make simply because they want to love a child and don't have a need for a biological connection. ANYWAY- we liked it a lot!

The Baxter Family March 31, 2008 at 5:30 PM  

We loved Martian Child and found one particular line very profound. I won't give it away, but I'll be interested to see if it stands out to you, too.

Kelli March 31, 2008 at 7:05 PM  

I'll have to check these out sometime!

Labels

About This Blog

This started as my story, but has evolved to OUR story. This is the story of life as a single parent to a wonderful little boy while we wait for baby sister. China LID 2.12.07.


But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.
Habakkuk 2:3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP