Friday, March 28, 2008

Short and sweet

I am once again out of town for training. Fortunately I will be home Sunday afternoon, but I'm tired from the long day so I will keep this short--and not really adoption related.

A couple of weeks ago I was asked if I would start volunteering in the nursery at church. It has been mentioned in passing and usually goes something like (fake a high pitched voice) "you should really work in the nursery since you like kids!" This time I was told "we need help in the nursery and you are a stable person that is here routinely. We need your help." Secretly, I think they probably know it saves them the cost of one background check since they know I have been fingerprinted out the wazoo and am approved by the US government to parent children.

Welllll. It's not that simple and I'm kind of torn on how I feel about this which probably makes me sound like a bad person (and why I probably should have posted this on my slightly neurotic/fluff "other" blog). People automatically assume that you like kids if you are adopting, and I do like children--I like the ones I am related to, the kids of my friends and some other random children, but I'm not really sure that I am the "kid" person that they think I am. I do coo at cute babies when I am standing in line at the grocery store, but I don't go out of my way to spend time with babies and toddlers.

In the past I have been told by people at this church (and others outside the church) that I need "practice" with kids. That may be true, but I used to work in the newborn nursery and I teach infant/child/adult CPR. Usually when I am told I need practice it is because they are buttering me up to babysit their children (for free, of course--not one has ever paid me).

I'm not sure why I am resisting this...am I afraid I will be taken advantage of? Yes. Am I afraid volunteering once every 4-6 weeks will actually be every other week? Yes. I actually enjoy my pastor's teaching and the worship service which is why I haven't stepped up before. Am I afraid that it might be hard to be around babies when I don't know when either one of mine are coming home? Yes, yes.

I have decided to try it. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out and maybe by then I will have a better understanding of why I am feeling unsettled about this. Of course, it could actually be a very good thing too. If anyone else has ever felt like this or understands better why I am feeling like this, I'd love to hear your insight.

2 comments:

The Baxter Family March 29, 2008 at 8:39 AM  

I had very similar feelings when I first joined our church and was asked to teach the elementary age group during the service. I think the fact that I am a teacher was a prime motivator in their asking me, but I was a bit hesitant. I teach middle school, not elementary, and I enjoy having two days off from lesson planning, being "on," and disciplining negative behavior. Also, like you, I really do enjoy the service and don't like to miss it. To compromise, I decided to do it off and on during the summer months (It's a rotating position since they can't find one person to commit every Sunday.). I didn't enjoy it the first few times, but it has gotten better. I think the fact that I actually know the children now makes a huge difference. Maybe you'll find that that is the case if you decide to work in the nursery. Anyway, I can totally sympathize with your feelings. I'll be interested to read how it all turns out for you.
Teresa

K March 31, 2008 at 12:31 AM  

I think it's pretty normal. You can't make decisions for and treat other kids the same way you would your child, so I would think that it's normal to question if it's a good fit for you. I work with kids birth to age 3 and I have no desire to volunteer like that :)

Labels

About This Blog

This started as my story, but has evolved to OUR story. This is the story of life as a single parent to a wonderful little boy while we wait for baby sister. China LID 2.12.07.


But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day.
Habakkuk 2:3

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP